Few on the left has articulated “ yes, I want out of Afghanistan, even if religious (sic) extremists are left to fester to grow and attack us again” if any one has taken a stand for that choice (I haven’t seen anyone do it). That does not change the ambivalence I feel about Afghanistan.
Swanson points out that:
- For many months, probably years, at least the second largest and probably the largest source of revenue for the Taliban has been U.S. taxpayers.
- Our top consumer of oil is the U.S. military.
- Over half of every U.S. tax dollar is spent on wars, the military, and payments on debt for past wars and military spending.
- A leading, and probably the leading, cause of death in the U.S. military is suicide.
- The $33 billion about to be voted on cannot possibly be needed to continue the war in Afghanistan, because it is exclusively to be used for escalating that war.
- War would be the greatest evil on earth even if it were free.